Author Topic: Black Powder  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Spence

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Black Powder
« on: August 21, 2016, 10:08:41 AM »
To start with.....where does one get black powder..?.....

Offline RKeller

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Black Powder
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 08:22:36 PM »
I assume you are asking about powder for ejection charges... the best powder to use for ejection charges is 4f, or ffff. this is hard to get in NY, because NY. start by asking on field vendors if they have any to sell. if you need some for a launch, there are plenty willing to share.
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415
L1 25 Oct 2014 Estes MDRM CTI H133
L2 25 June 2015 Rocketry Warehouse DYOK, CTI L1030RL 14.7k ft mach 1.57

I'm addicted to building stuff, rockets are just a way to get high

Offline Spence

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 11:34:12 AM »
Thanks - Its not any better in NJ and the regulations seem impossible to understand...

Offline David Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 05:42:36 PM »
I got mine online. Now I live in PA, and I truly have no idea what the regulations are with regards to the vendor shipping to your location. I used this site (http://www.grafs.com/) for no particular reason, but there are others. Some have minimum orders that will give you enough to last for more years of flying than you're likely to be alive, so you might want to pool an order with someone if you can.
David Carter
NAR 98850, Level 3

90% of rocketry is sanding!

Offline dbmccann

• MRSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 01:51:04 AM »
I got mine online. Now I live in PA, and I truly have no idea what the regulations are with regards to the vendor shipping to your location. I used this site (http://www.grafs.com/) for no particular reason, but there are others. Some have minimum orders that will give you enough to last for more years of flying than you're likely to be alive, so you might want to pool an order with someone if you can.

The short version is that BP is regulated by the ATF.   There is an exemption for up to 50 pounds for use in muzzleloading firearms, and only muzzleloading forearms. 

Offline David Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 08:27:25 AM »
While it's tempting to put a musket ball in my ejection canister, I just don't see it ending well!  :D
David Carter
NAR 98850, Level 3

90% of rocketry is sanding!