Author Topic: June 11, 2016 RocketFest @ Kopernik Observatory & Science Center  (Read 2532 times)

Offline n3sq

• View Profile
An event for the youth to get interested in Rocketry. Around a 150+ people show up at the Saturday. 

Saturday, June 11, 2016 @ Kopernik Observatory & Science Center, 698 Underwood Road, Vestal, NY

What better way to greet summer than with big rocket fanfare? Kopernik invites individuals and families to join the excitement at our Eighth annual RocketFest! Build and launch your own rocket! Enjoy fun activities! Win door prizes! Great food and exciting science toys will be available for purchase.  There will be three rocket building/launching workshop times and a variety of rocket models from which to choose.

http://www.kopernik.org/events-programs/rocketfest/

Standard rockets: (A- or B-powered) are suitable for younger children and beginning rocket builders.
Advanced rockets: (D-powered) have stronger engines and are appropriate for those with more experience.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:21:32 PM by n3sq »

Offline RickB

• View Profile
Re: June 11, 2016 RocketFest @ Kopernik Observatory & Science Center
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 03:31:04 PM »
Alex, out of curiosity, where are rockets actually launched from?  There isn't a lot of cleared land in that area, and the nearby trees would be a concern.  If there are 150 people there, that would eliminate the parking lot.  Would clubs that have a display be conducting any demos?  This is interesting - I grew up just about 5 miles away from the observatory. 
Rick Barnes

Offline n3sq

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 03:45:11 PM »
The main point in the event is to get young students interested in science and rocketry.

They're all small rockets, so they usually launched at the edge of the grassy area near the Gazebo. Most ending up in/near the trees to the south. This may change for the better in the near future. Larger rockets are launched from the roadside edge of the large field just down Underwood Road towards NY Route 26.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:27:52 PM by n3sq »

Offline les

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 08:50:00 PM »
I typically put on a display at the Rocketfest.

And the 150 people are distributed across the 3 building sessions

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 08:52:14 PM by les »

Offline Greg Young

• MRSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 09:10:41 AM »
That's a great display Les! :)
Greg

Offline Bob Krech

• BOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 01:36:03 PM »
The pig rocket is the best exhibit display I've seen for a model rocket!   

Very clever and well done!

Bob

Offline les

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 07:33:53 PM »
I got the idea from one of the first Sport Rocketry magazines I got once I became a BAR back in 1998

I got a bag of poly fiber fill, a 6' rod, and a standard Estes launch pad with some weight taped to the feet. 
I used a hot glue gun and glued the fiber fill to straws.  I can slide these over the rod.  And the rocket sits on top and a pile of fiber fill sits around the bottom

Offline les

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 01:43:36 PM »
Rocketfest 2016 is done.  It was not as busy as last year with only a little over 100 hitting the 3 sessions
People had a chance to build a "basic" rocket with a choice of the Flutter-by, Monarch, Cosmic Explorer, Hornet, or Photon Probe or an "advanced" rocket with a choice of the Astron Eclliptic II or Super Neon.

I had my display with part of my collection.

Winds were a bit high forcing a steep launch angle.  Many flight were successful, but there were many lost/damaged rockets

Offline RKeller

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 10:26:49 PM »
That's a great display Les! and man it was a windy weekend! brave souls launching in that!
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415
L1 25 Oct 2014 Estes MDRM CTI H133
L2 25 June 2015 Rocketry Warehouse DYOK, CTI L1030RL 14.7k ft mach 1.57

I'm addicted to building stuff, rockets are just a way to get high