Author Topic: L3 Wildman Extreme  (Read 7838 times)

Offline dbmccann

• MRSI
    • View Profile
L3 Wildman Extreme
« on: February 02, 2016, 08:27:46 PM »
So I've got the glue in, and the CR's I was missing are on the way here.... So I guess it's time to get working.

I picked this up on the TRF yardsale for $100.   nose is a mess,  it's got a weird booster extension intended for use with hybrids, and it was missing some CRs.  I'm gonna clean it up nice, chop the booster, and fix up the nose.

Current plan is MARSA 54L, RRC3,  and BRB900.   May toss an AIM XTRA into that mix if I can get my hands on one.

Offline RKeller

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: L3 Wildman Extreme
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 08:45:30 PM »
are you sure you don't want to make it into an Optima Extreme?
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415
L1 25 Oct 2014 Estes MDRM CTI H133
L2 25 June 2015 Rocketry Warehouse DYOK, CTI L1030RL 14.7k ft mach 1.57

I'm addicted to building stuff, rockets are just a way to get high

Offline dbmccann

• MRSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 09:27:27 PM »
LOL,   It's a thought, but no.  Would need a new nose,  new fins, etc.   Easier to just toss this thing together.   Well I half consider replacing the nose with a FWFG one.... but we'll see.  Too many projects at once.

Offline mdutch

• BOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 08:10:40 AM »
I know we discussed this somewhat last year, Are you now starting your L3 build to get your certification this year at some point?

If so I look forward to see photos of the progression of your build. I have some of your package in my files now, Don't forget that I still need drawings of the final electronics, a description of the recovery parts and events, and a pre-flight check list.
Other than those your all set, Good luck and enjoy the build.
Mike Dutch
TAP  L3CC
URRG & MRSI Founder
"I just Want to Fly ROCKETS"

Offline dbmccann

• MRSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 08:43:51 AM »
Yep, starting the build now.  Actual flight plans are in the air, but if I get that together I plan to have the bird ready to go.    I'll get to work on the drawings and checklist.   Recovery will be finalized once I have real world weights.

Thanks for the help and advice, and photos will be plentiful. 

Offline dbmccann

• MRSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 10:51:02 PM »
Terrible photo, but I got the new CR's in and sanded them to fit.    Next up is getting the aeropack mounted, then spacing the mid CR for the fins.

This thing is one huge motor mount.

Offline dbmccann

• MRSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 11:08:28 PM »
Choppy choppy.

It's ugly, but It'll sand out just fine.   I'm slowly sanding a bit of the inside BT right now to get the coupler to fit (some glue overrun from the coupler is left.  I'll sand it bit by bit until the av-bay fits in nice and snug.   then comes the fun task of leveling the cut.

Offline dbmccann

• MRSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 02:36:10 PM »
OK. so the upper ID of the Booster has been sanded to fit the lower end of the av-bay.   Still not as smooth as I'd like so a bit more fitting will be done tonight.  The top cut of the Booster has been sanded level to match up with the vent band on the Av-bay.

The lower CR has not been epoxied in place yet, but the aeropack has been installed.   Lacking a 76mm motor, I slid a very tightly fitting 3" FG coupler into place.  Drilling holes and installing screws one at a time, opposite of each other until complete.   There are currently no backing nuts.  My current plan is to bury it all in epoxy.   

I have not yet finalized my plan on installing everything.   Working out the locations of the CR's and epoxy order. Putting the rear CR up to the fin tabs would be ideal, yet complicated.   If I leave the tabs above the bottom CR  it's a nice and easy glue it up, then butter up each fin to tack in place and then 3 rotations of injections.    Of course, If I add a 4th CR, I could have it both ways.   (or use the middle CR just above the screws, and below the fin tabs.  This would leave the front of the fin tabs not touching a CR.   Tentatively, I like this plan the best.  Aeropoxy doesn't run out too quickly, and I could always make a forward dam out of tape wrapped around the MMT.)     Thinking out loud there.... And I think I like that.   Makes for a solid setup and many long strong fillets holding the fins in.

Offline dbmccann

• MRSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 12:06:13 AM »
So, the chop cut 1.7 pounds off this pig.   I like that.

Offline RKeller

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 07:49:35 AM »
nice!
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415

Offline dbmccann

• MRSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 02:46:48 AM »
So, having this project stalled is giving me time to consider other options.  A dangerous but good thing.   I had considered moving over to using my Mongoose 75,  but even small motors sim out between 19.5 and 24K.  So back to the WME.

Original  plans were for a MARSA, BRB900, and an RRC3.  Saw the RTx system at URRF, and it was really cool.   I'm now thinking of adding the RTx into the mix.  Run that system on one 3d printer sled, and run a flipped orange one under it for the MARSA.   Ease of use on the missleworks system, and good data from the MARSA. 

From the webstore-

Offline dbmccann

• MRSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 12:34:36 PM »
Well, I got this kit two years ago or so.  Things took another lurch forward last night when I ordered a 76/6000 case.    Going to see if I can't get the fins on this thing in the next couple of weeks.

Offline RKeller

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 03:24:04 PM »
SWEET!
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415

Offline dbmccann

• MRSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 08:22:03 PM »
I decided to go with a 3 CR setup.  Aeropack on the back, pushed directly against the fins, and the fins sandwiched between the two.  This sinks the aero pack into the body some, but it still sticks out the rear.  I'll bury the back in JB weld once everything is installed. I spaced the center ring, and put some tape on the MMT to hold it in place, then put a fillet on the top of the ring.  If you're looking for perfect sexy fillets on internal rings...this is not the build you're looking for. 

I dropped the MMT into the tail end of the body tube, but upside down.  I marked the locations of the fin slots, which thankfully do not overlap any screws.  Partial fillets were then done.

Hardware showed up :)

Took some prelim weights and fiddled with the sim a bit

Offline dbmccann

• MRSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 10:16:29 PM »