Author Topic: BB Level 3 project  (Read 16273 times)

Offline mdutch

  • BOD
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 261
    • View Profile
Re: BB Level 3 project
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2016, 09:13:07 AM »
Great level 3 certification flight David, of course it wouldn't have gone so well if I had let you put it on the rail the way you started doing it.
And yes, I did make him kiss it goodbye too, probably why it was such a great flight.
Mike Dutch
TAP  L3CC
URRG & MRSI Founder
"I just Want to Fly ROCKETS"

Offline RKeller

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 416
    • View Profile
Re: BB Level 3 project
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2016, 07:01:58 PM »
That was an awesome flight! Congratulations!
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415
L1 25 Oct 2014 Estes MDRM CTI H133
L2 25 June 2015 Rocketry Warehouse DYOK, CTI L1030RL 14.7k ft mach 1.57

I'm addicted to building stuff, rockets are just a way to get high

Offline David Carter

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 55
    • View Profile
Re: BB Level 3 project
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2016, 10:18:17 AM »
Great level 3 certification flight David, of course it wouldn't have gone so well if I had let you put it on the rail the way you started doing it.

I still say I would have figured it out eventually, and it would have made for an awesome photo :)
David Carter
NAR 98850, Level 3

90% of rocketry is sanding!

Offline David Carter

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 55
    • View Profile
Re: BB Level 3 project
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2016, 10:31:43 AM »
One of the issues I had to fix when I got to the field was my altimeter. The Pico AA2 I had as my secondary wasn't beeping. So off to the Wildman trailer to see what he had. I got a Featherweight Raven as my replacement. Nice little piece of kit but it had some issues I had to deal with.

First was the physical mounting. Not only were the screw holes in different places, but they were also much smaller. My sled was designed specifically for the altimeters I'd originally intended to use, not this. Drilling holed would have meant having the back end of the bolts in my battery compartment. So, in one of the inserts I added some epoxy and glued the screw in place. I could always dremel it out later. To stop the altimeter from spinning on the single screw, I used CA to tack the bottom in place against the bottom post (epoxy doesn't bond well with the PLA plastic) This picture was taken post flight, so it held together quite well. All altimeters fired as designed and recovery was a success.
David Carter
NAR 98850, Level 3

90% of rocketry is sanding!

Offline David Carter

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 55
    • View Profile
Re: BB Level 3 project
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2016, 10:36:50 AM »
The flight was flawless. It landed right next to the road near the bridge, so recovery was easy. Performance was better than sim, but still within the waiver. It's a good thing it had the GPS though, because none of us saw it land.

My first supersonic flight (Mach 1.2), and a personal altitude record, just shy of both 5 km and 3 miles :)
David Carter
NAR 98850, Level 3

90% of rocketry is sanding!