Author Topic: BB Level 3 project  (Read 15242 times)

Offline David Carter

• View Profile
Re: BB Level 3 project
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2016, 10:02:34 AM »
And the first one is complete! In dire need of sanding though...

So that's three layers each of 5.7 oz carbon fiber and 3 oz fiberglass.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 10:06:06 AM by David Carter »
David Carter
NAR 98850, Level 3

90% of rocketry is sanding!

Offline David Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2016, 10:38:04 AM »
Tip to tip reinforcement complete. Sanding, expanding foam, etc... will have to wait until I return from my 5 week work trip. I won't get to fly ANYTHING until URRF. Le sigh.
David Carter
NAR 98850, Level 3

Offline RKeller

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2016, 02:10:14 PM »
looks really good David, glad you'll be back in time for URRF! I need to get that featured flights page up and running. this should go on there.
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415
L1 25 Oct 2014 Estes MDRM CTI H133
L2 25 June 2015 Rocketry Warehouse DYOK, CTI L1030RL 14.7k ft mach 1.57

I'm addicted to building stuff, rockets are just a way to get high

Offline Larry Weibert

• BOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2016, 10:39:44 PM »
Nice project Dave love to see that flight. I need to retire and free up some time.
MRSI,TRA,NAR,URRG

Offline David Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2016, 08:09:36 AM »
Nice project Dave love to see that flight. I need to retire and free up some time.

Retirement would help with the free time, but I need to work to afford all of this!  :D

True to signature line, my last all too brief visit home was spent sanding. Progress is being made, but I'm in a tedious phase. Currently on another work trip but I hope to get the airframe finished the first week of June. I may be flying without a paint job though. Final touches may not happen until the week before. Good thing I started this months in advance! Le sigh
David Carter
NAR 98850, Level 3

Offline David Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2016, 07:35:25 PM »
It's been a while, so an update is in order. I've been traveling for 8 of the last 10 weeks, and I leave in 3 days for another 2 weeks. (A trip that wasn't supposed to happen. Ask me how happy I am about that!) So time to get it all done is tight.

First, it's unlikely I'll get the camera mount done. My 3D printer is having some issues and I have no time to debug it. I also refuse to deface my rocket  with the aesthetically and aerodynamically awful camera shroud that is commonly used. I can do better and I will on a future flight.

So, my goal before leaving again is to complete the airframe and have it ready for finishing. At this point, that means Bondo and sanding. Lots of sanding. I believe my signature says "90% of rocketry is sanding?". These next three days won't change that opinion. I also intend to have the mounts for the rail buttons in place, the aft centering ring glued in, and the motor retainer attached. This will allow me to do the painting.

I will not be using the expanding foam in the fin can. I think the internal fillets and the tip to tip reinforcement are sufficient for the job, and they've added a lot of tail weight. I think the foam would just be overkill and ballast I don't need. My CG is still fine (and I have the sims to prove it), and I don't want to mess with that at this point.

Still to come, the ebay, recovery rigging, ejection testing, finishing. Sorry Dutch but it may be a last minute documentation update!
David Carter
NAR 98850, Level 3

Offline David Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2016, 02:44:54 AM »
Well, that's been a busy three days!

Fin can filled and sanded. No more sanding until after primer is applied  :)

With that done, I was able to install rail buttons. As per Dutch's suggestion, 3 instead of 2. And with the rear one in place, I was finally able to put the rear centering ring on.

Some JB Weld, and the retainer is in place. It looks good with the transition!
David Carter
NAR 98850, Level 3

Offline David Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2016, 02:48:13 AM »
But that's not all...

I started in on the ebay in earnest. The switch band had holes made for the two switches. Each switch had a 1/2" hole in the coupler, and a 5/8" hole in the switch band to give it that nice recessed look.
David Carter
NAR 98850, Level 3

Offline David Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2016, 02:52:17 AM »
End caps were marked and drilled. Ejection canisters and U bolts were epoxied into place.

I still need to wire the electrical harness, including the terminal blocks that will connection the igniters to the electronics. That will have to wait until I come back. There are still some holes in the end block where the terminal blocks go and where an eye bolt could go. These will be filled in with epoxy later to prevent gases from leaking into the ebay.
David Carter
NAR 98850, Level 3

Offline David Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2016, 02:58:15 AM »
Finally, holes were drilled. Lots of holes. The lower airframe will use shear pins to prevent drag separation (that's a lot of weight!) so those were drilled and tapped. Same for where the upper airframe connects to the nose. 3 x 3/16" vent holes were drilled around the switch band, as well as pressure vents for both the upper and lower airframe. And holes were made for the rivets that will attach the upper airframe to the ebay.

It's starting to look like a rocket!

When I get back, I'll wire up the electronics, add the "laundry", do my ejection tests, prime, paint, and document. Oh yeah, and fly! Is it URRF time yet?  :D
David Carter
NAR 98850, Level 3

Offline RKeller

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2016, 08:35:11 AM »
lookin good David!
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415
L1 25 Oct 2014 Estes MDRM CTI H133
L2 25 June 2015 Rocketry Warehouse DYOK, CTI L1030RL 14.7k ft mach 1.57

I'm addicted to building stuff, rockets are just a way to get high

Offline mdutch

• BOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2016, 11:24:08 AM »
Dave I like everything I see here, good work.
Mike Dutch
TAP  L3CC
URRG & MRSI Founder
"I just Want to Fly ROCKETS"

Offline David Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2016, 12:49:29 PM »
One week! Aaarrrgggghhh!

My plan was to finish the wiring and do the ejection tests before painting, but I have perfect painting weather today and tomorrow so plans change.

I finally attached the U bolt and end cap to the nose cone. I'd been holding off in case I needed nose weight, but even with the heaviest 75mm motors I still have a good safety margin. So on it goes. I used Fix-It epoxy putty to build a shoulder, and then reinforced on the other side with 5 minute epoxy.

So a little sanding, and a little priming, and it begins. These saw horses have a spot for 2x4s to make a work table, but with a little PVC piping it makes a great painting station. I should have the basic colours on by end of day tomorrow. Fancy details will have to be post maiden flight.
David Carter
NAR 98850, Level 3

Offline David Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2016, 08:31:21 PM »
Shouldn't have any problems spotting this on the launch pad! A field maybe, but that's what the multi-coloured parachute and GPS tracker are for :)
David Carter
NAR 98850, Level 3

Offline David Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2016, 10:52:27 PM »
I've a few details to add before I wind up this thread, but I'll break the suspense. Successfully flew for my Level 3 today!

Speed: 387 m/s, or Mach 1.13!
Altitude: 4696 m or 15407 feet or 2.92 miles!

Both exceeded the sim predictions (which typically overestimate), but not the waiver so I'll take it. These are also personal altitude and speed records :)
David Carter
NAR 98850, Level 3