Author Topic: URRF 2016??  (Read 6633 times)

Offline les

• View Profile
URRF 2016??
« on: January 02, 2016, 12:19:15 AM »
Looking at the events tab, I see the 2016 flight schedule

For June (the normal time frame as I recall) I see a 3 day launch but it is not flagged as URRF.

Will there be an official URRF event or is this a pseudo one??

Thanks

Offline RKeller

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: URRF 2016??
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 01:49:28 PM »
stuff is in the works.... I'll give you a hint... urrf.us  ;)
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415
L1 25 Oct 2014 Estes MDRM CTI H133
L2 25 June 2015 Rocketry Warehouse DYOK, CTI L1030RL 14.7k ft mach 1.57

I'm addicted to building stuff, rockets are just a way to get high

Offline dbmccann

• MRSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 02:14:37 PM »

Site's looking good... 

Offline RKeller

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 03:29:03 PM »

Site's looking good...

should be public soon, still got a few bugs to work out.
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415

Offline RickB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 07:23:10 PM »
I wasn't around yet last time URRF was held (I've only been flying again for about 15 months).  How would you describe it?  Is this a downscaled LDRS, something similar to NYPower?  Or more like a well-attended normal club weekend?
Rick Barnes

Offline dbmccann

• MRSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 08:28:45 PM »
100 fliers.

URRF1

URRF2

LDRS for comparison-

Offline dbmccann

• MRSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 08:33:37 PM »
Same number of pads in nearly the same setup,  but less fliers so less of that rush and crush.     The two URRF's had a good flow, great weather, and zero waits.    I think 100 or less fliers is a good fit for the field and setup.    Sure, it can handle 350...but 100 is much much more relaxed and chill of an atmsophere.

Offline dbmccann

• MRSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 11:46:13 PM »
I have no idea what's going on in june....

Offline RickB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 10:29:58 PM »
Now that this is official, I'm excited.  Naturally, I want to help - one of my goals this year is to be more involved rather than simply show up, fly, and leave.  Anyway, I'm sure that volunteer info will show in due time.  But one thing I'd like to see is having mini & micro rails available as an offshoot of the low-power pad, like has been discussed here and there before.  I'm not sure how to go about that, but if there's something I can do to make it happen, please let me know. 

The minibutton pad that I've been using works well for how I've been flying, but it is intended to be portable and might not be simple or efficient enough for multiple users.  I'm certainly willing to provide it for the event, but I think there has to be a better solution.  I mentioned this elsewhere also - I have a second 6' mini rail that I can contribute to the cause, and a 5' micro rail (though that has some teething issues).  I wouldn't mind seeing 2 mini rails and a micro rail set up at URRF, sort of an in between (A.5) bank that could also include the 3/16" rods.  If we do, would it be one of the first higher profile launch events to offer a mid-range bank of rails?

Thoughts on this?
Rick Barnes

Offline RKeller

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 10:47:00 PM »
Now that this is official, I'm excited.  Naturally, I want to help - one of my goals this year is to be more involved rather than simply show up, fly, and leave.  Anyway, I'm sure that volunteer info will show in due time.  But one thing I'd like to see is having mini & micro rails available as an offshoot of the low-power pad, like has been discussed here and there before.  I'm not sure how to go about that, but if there's something I can do to make it happen, please let me know. 

The minibutton pad that I've been using works well for how I've been flying, but it is intended to be portable and might not be simple or efficient enough for multiple users.  I'm certainly willing to provide it for the event, but I think there has to be a better solution.  I mentioned this elsewhere also - I have a second 6' mini rail that I can contribute to the cause, and a 5' micro rail (though that has some teething issues).  I wouldn't mind seeing 2 mini rails and a micro rail set up at URRF, sort of an in between (A.5) bank that could also include the 3/16" rods.  If we do, would it be one of the first higher profile launch events to offer a mid-range bank of rails?

Thoughts on this?

Rick, this would be a huge help. This is a perfect setup and a something we have discussed to get a little more space for those bridge low/midpower builds and clusters. we can setup a rack of 6 with 3/16 rods and mini and micro rails.
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415

Offline RickB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 11:35:47 AM »
Well, I guess that brings me back to the question - what can I do to help?  I don't want to step on any toes, but I don't want to let this slide either.  Is there any plan to build this sort of pad in the works already, or does that all need to be sorted out yet? 

As a tangent - I had just been thinking of figuring out how to put the rails out there.  But for them to be useful, obviously, there needs to be a box out there with it, and that has to be tied into the launch control.  Do we have the equipment to do that already, and does the launch controller have the expandability?  I'm not just thinking of whatever might be set up just for URRF, but something that can be used on normal launch weekends too.  I ask, in part, because I'm not real familiar with what equipment the club has already and how its set up or operated.
Rick Barnes

Offline Larry Weibert

• BOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 09:35:55 PM »
Hi Rick. I have some micro, mini, and another size we started working with the last couple years. Our sector boxes fire 6 per box. Someone on our planning committee could answer how many mod pads we will be having I never paid much attention to them. I think its 12 but don't quote me. In the past as we were bata testing them we just attached a 1/2 inch rod to them that was put in the ground so we could use them. I can talk to Don Tennis and see what we have for attaching them to the mod rock pad set up. If you would like to get involved that's great the more the merrier. I don't know were you live but if you wanted to join us on one of our MRSI mix parties we could talk and maybe work on this. I don't see it being a big deal to get ready and let everyone know what we will be having so they can plan on flying off it. If anyone has any ideas or input speak up we can make it happen. Larry W
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 09:39:43 PM by Larry Weibert »
MRSI,TRA,NAR,URRG

Offline RickB

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 02:51:01 PM »
Stop me if I'm going down the wrong rabbit hole here.  I've got an idea for a 4 - 6 gang adjustable pad to take the midpower guides, and to mount them so that they are adjustable like the big pads are.  It would sort of a hybrid of layout of the A pad with features from the B pads.  But to do it, we'd essentially be interspersing another pad set in between the normal A & B.  Up to this point, I've simply run a long lead off the B-pad box and made the mini rail pad #B5.  But with this, I don't think we'd want to jump off of either A or B, it would need its own sector box. 

It would be nice to have something like that in place earlier in the season so that we can debug it, but also to encourage people to actually build with the smaller buttons in advance.  Perhaps we should gather up the various mid-rails that you already have and I already have and sort a plan from there.  I was looking at ordering some additional rails, but if the club already has some, I don't want to unnecessarily duplicate.  But I'm looking at a design that we can switch rails and rods quickly, and add or remove them to suit.  We could conceivably have, say two 6' and one 4' mini rail, two 3/16" rods and one micro rail on the pad for a big event, or pare it down to one of each type for a club weekend.  But I'd like to see that the hardware to do so is made available to do that.
Rick Barnes

Offline Larry Weibert

• BOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 08:55:30 PM »
Sounds like a plan to me Rich my email is Lawrence.weibert@nypa.gov drop me a email with contact info and we can set something up. We like anything that works and between all of us we usually come up with something that's practical. Larry W
MRSI,TRA,NAR,URRG

Offline RKeller

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 07:26:44 PM »
Seems kind of pricey for a 3 day club launch to me! LDRS 35 is $55 and that's a 5 day launch! I'm just saying!
You have excellent timing! We actually have an announcement to make...

For anyone who is worried about the price there is a great opportunity to save some $$. Every volunteer shift worked will receive a $10 URRF gift card that can be used at ANY onsite URRF vendor.

Also, considering the 100% FAA approved 18k foot waiver, URRF is the premier east coast event for those who are serious about rocketry. LDRS this year is $75, has no EX, no O motors, and no Loki.
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415