Author Topic: Madcow 54mm Tomach  (Read 1867 times)

Offline dbmccann

• MRSI
    • View Profile
Madcow 54mm Tomach
« on: November 29, 2015, 10:45:44 PM »
It has arrived.    :)  let the plotting begin.  1/8" fins look thick at this size.  I'm feeling more comfortable about no T2T. 

Loki 54/1600 for scale.

I wasn't going to start this until the Villain was done....but I'm in the process of painting and it's driving me insane.  Time to walk away and clear my head with something else. 

Really basic and slow right now, but I took a sharpie and marked the fin locations.  Also transferred marks to the NC and Av-Bay coulpers.  Once this gets going I think it's going to be a fast build. 

I roughed up the booster where the fins will mount with some 100 grit sandpaper.   

The edges of the fins have been knocked off a bit.  Nothing drastic, and I doubt it'll help drag much, but it's  visually more pleasing than square edges.  I may even these up a bit more, maybe not.

It's one of those things that would be nice to have done, but I'd rather do than pay more for.   

I got bored, so I glued a fin on with aeropoxy ES6209 and read the directions.   As near as I can tell, the directions will be great for starting my next BBQ :).    If you follow them, I have no idea how you'd wire the payload bay charge....and replacing shock cords would be a nightmare.  I'm all for minimal, and I could see if the forward bulkhead was removable and you had to fish it down into the bay.... That'd be a pain in the ass, but at least logical.     I plan to get a few more bulkheads to make the av bay, and turn the nose into a tracker bay. 

Rotated the rocket, setting fin #2 on top-

And number three....  That estes guide is pretty darn handy....

Offline dbmccann

• MRSI
    • View Profile
Re: Madcow 54mm Tomach
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 10:46:32 PM »
[/img]

Glued up the bulk plates.   I'm changing up the build from the directions here.  Instead of glueing the coupler into the payload I intend to make it removable.  I'm also going to add  a stepped bulkhead to the nosecone.  So, I took the coupler bulkhead meant for the nose and am using it in the av-bay.

Offline dbmccann

• MRSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 05:26:30 PM »
Looking at the payload.
I can install screws and nuts to attach the payload to the avbay.  Or I can glue it in place, and slide the upper bulkhead down the payload.  Not like I'm going to be flying this one five times a day.   

The screws would be a more flexible situation.   glueing would leave a much smoother surface.  I'm torn.

Offline RKeller

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 06:16:19 PM »
on my darkstar mini I used one stainless 4-40 screw to hold the tube on after a very tight friction fit. I also used one 2-56 shear pin in the nose. I'm considering using 2-56 flat head screws tapped and countersunk into the tube for my MD builds.
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415
L1 25 Oct 2014 Estes MDRM CTI H133
L2 25 June 2015 Rocketry Warehouse DYOK, CTI L1030RL 14.7k ft mach 1.57

I'm addicted to building stuff, rockets are just a way to get high

Offline dbmccann

• MRSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 01:55:28 PM »
Did the payload with some countersunk screws...

mmmmm.  54/2550.   How much space does that leave you ask?

Enough.