Author Topic: MAC Scorpion  (Read 4752 times)

Offline RickB

• View Profile
MAC Scorpion
« on: September 13, 2016, 09:02:37 AM »
I bought a Scorpion kit from Mike Crupe after URRF3.  Building now.  This is posted over at TRF, but i'll repeat here.

The Rocksim file:

Parts:

Dry fit:

Rick Barnes

Offline RickB

• View Profile
Re: MAC Scorpion
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 09:05:59 AM »

Rick Barnes

Offline mdutch

• BOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 04:20:03 PM »
Nice kit Rick, have fun building it. I know you fly mostly low power, have you certified Level 1 yet? I'd be happy to help you with that if you haven't. Still enjoy the build, Mike makes nice kits that are a pleasure to build.
Mike Dutch
TAP  L3CC
URRG & MRSI Founder
"I just Want to Fly ROCKETS"

Offline RickB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 08:47:36 AM »
Yes Dutch, last year at the summer picnic.  You signed off on it!  I do fly a lot of low and mid-power stuff (I think I burn more "F" engines than anything else), but I do typically fly at least one L1 motor every launch.  However, this Scorpion will be a new level for me, it'll need something more than a 3-grain 29mm... 
Rick Barnes

Offline mdutch

• BOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 07:02:32 AM »
Yes Dutch, last year at the summer picnic. You signed off on it!  I do fly a lot of low and mid-power stuff (I think I burn more "F" engines than anything else), but I do typically fly at least one L1 motor every launch.  However, this Scorpion will be a new level for me, it'll need something more than a 3-grain 29mm...

Goes to show how well I remember stuff.There are very few H or I 54mm motors but you can always get a 38 to 54 reducer that will fit and work in conjunction with the Aeropack tail cone retainer. Then you can fly all kinds of 38 mm H and I's until you're ready to use the rocket for a level 2 certification. which that rocket will be more than capable of doing. Just make sure that you have some kind of tracking ability built into it, especially if you're going with single deploy with it, I'd say even if your building it to do dual deploy too.
Mike Dutch
TAP  L3CC
URRG & MRSI Founder

Offline RickB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 09:38:06 AM »
Well, this rocket is the 38mm, single deploy version of the kit, which Mike made a couple of minor changes to for me to accommodate the tail cone retainer.  And I bought a 29mm adapter from him so I can use the motor cases I already have.  I'll probably eventually buy into 38mm hardware, but not this year.  But I should be able to fly it on variety of 29mm motor choices.  The tracker part I haven't given a lot of though to.  I don't intend to fly it super high any time soon, so I don't think I need anything beyond what I'm doing now.  That includes using the Chute Release as a means of simple dual deploy.  But if I do start looking at going above, say, 2500', then I guess I should consider some form of tracker, though that's something I know nothing about at the moment.  However, I suspect I can retro fit the rocket with one of Mike's nose cone bay kits pretty readily...
Rick Barnes

Offline mdutch

• BOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 11:43:14 AM »
I'm sorry Rick, from the pictures to me it looked like the motor mount was a 54mm :-[ my bad
Mike Dutch
TAP  L3CC
URRG & MRSI Founder

Offline RickB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 12:07:59 PM »
No problem.  It'll probably be quite a while before I move to 54mm if ever; I'm still not convinced that I'll be interested in going to L2.  I am, however, documenting the build of this just in case...
Rick Barnes

Offline RKeller

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 07:14:30 PM »
I highly recommend the Loki 120 and 240 motors. loads ship with no haz and we usually have a vendor on the field with them as well! nice looking build. I really like the SD scorpion. I think a chute release will be on my Christmas list!
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415
L1 25 Oct 2014 Estes MDRM CTI H133
L2 25 June 2015 Rocketry Warehouse DYOK, CTI L1030RL 14.7k ft mach 1.57

I'm addicted to building stuff, rockets are just a way to get high

Offline RickB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 04:00:54 PM »
Fins on, using Dave's method of epoxying over the slot and pushing through.  I had to use care not to slop the epoxy around and get it where the fin jig would sit, thus becoming permanent.

Epoxy fillets:

A little filler in a couple of low spots:

And, after much sanding, a shot of primer.

I've subsequently resanded and applied a second primer coat.  I'm hoping to move on to a base paint coat tonight...
Rick Barnes

Offline RickB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 09:38:11 AM »
Most of the painting finished:

I also "wrapped" the fin can in aluminum foil tape to tie in with the boat tail, and to give a little more reflective area to sparkle in the sun on the way back down.  I still have to install the recovery gear and finish masking/painting the roll pattern on the upper tube.
Rick Barnes

Offline RickB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 12:02:29 PM »
Over the weekend, I got the front end masked and the roll pattern painted.

Shown here with my 2.6" Bigger Bertha.  I also installed all of the recovery gear, so all that remains to do is shoot it with a clear coat once this paint has cured and then drill for rail buttons and altimeter ports.  Hopefully I will fly it at the Black Friday launch; I won't be able to make the one this month.
Rick Barnes