Author Topic: Nike Smoke Jr.  (Read 2520 times)

Offline RickB

• View Profile
Nike Smoke Jr.
« on: November 16, 2015, 02:31:40 PM »
After finding that Semroc once again makes a BT60-sized Nike Smoke nose cone, I decided I wanted build one.  The 3" PSII NS is a nice kit, but it is pretty big, and a smaller model would be nice for smaller sites. 

The fins are basswood, and as scale as I could make them (though the airfoil isn't quite correct).  I simulated the three cover plates on the base of the cone by printing out the Stine drawing, scaling the plate detail on the copier, making copies, then cut them out and glued them on.  The overall effect is pretty good, just enough thickness to add raised detail.  I built it with a 24mm mount, and used mini buttons for guides.  I've flown only once so far (on a D12-5), but I'm really waiting on the new Chute Release from Jolly Logic to push this design further.

I realized after the fact that I don't have the decals or fin coloration the same in both models - they're mirror images.  At this point, I'm not sure which (if either) is correct.  But I don't really care to much.  Everyone will know what it is regardless, and it still looks pretty good...
Rick Barnes

Offline RKeller

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Nike Smoke Jr.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 10:32:26 PM »
I didn't even notice they were mirrored until you said so. looks nice Rick! we need to get a mini rail on the rack, I would like to start using them, looks like the right way to go on bigger low power stuff.
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415
L1 25 Oct 2014 Estes MDRM CTI H133
L2 25 June 2015 Rocketry Warehouse DYOK, CTI L1030RL 14.7k ft mach 1.57

I'm addicted to building stuff, rockets are just a way to get high

Offline RickB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 08:49:13 AM »
I didn't even notice they were mirrored until you said so. looks nice Rick! we need to get a mini rail on the rack, I would like to start using them, looks like the right way to go on bigger low power stuff.
If I'm at the launch, you're welcome to use my pad for rockets with mini buttons.  But, of course, that doesn't help if I'm not there.  FWIW to that end, I have another 6' mini button rail at home.  Shipping was a fixed rate and was kind of expensive for just one, so I bought two rails.  If the club wants to build a pad to use a mini rail - or adapt it to fit the 1010 size pads - I'd be happy to donate it.  Personally, I think that it should be on a stand-alone pad that splits the difference in distance between the A and B  pads, like we had talked about last Friday.  If for no other reason, that'll reduce confusion as to which rail is which, since the 15mm rail looks just like a 1010 rail from a short distance.
Rick Barnes

Offline RKeller

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 12:07:39 PM »
If I'm at the launch, you're welcome to use my pad for rockets with mini buttons.  But, of course, that doesn't help if I'm not there.  FWIW to that end, I have another 6' mini button rail at home.  Shipping was a fixed rate and was kind of expensive for just one, so I bought two rails.  If the club wants to build a pad to use a mini rail - or adapt it to fit the 1010 size pads - I'd be happy to donate it.  Personally, I think that it should be on a stand-alone pad that splits the difference in distance between the A and B  pads, like we had talked about last Friday.  If for no other reason, that'll reduce confusion as to which rail is which, since the 15mm rail looks just like a 1010 rail from a short distance.
Thanks Rick. I actually like the idea of a low power pad a little farther out. it would be good for 3/16 rods and mini rails. also the standard pad for complex low power such as clusters or staged rockets.
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415
L1 25 Oct 2014 Estes MDRM CTI H133
L2 25 June 2015 Rocketry Warehouse DYOK, CTI L1030RL 14.7k ft mach 1.57

I'm addicted to building stuff, rockets are just a way to get high