Author Topic: 29mm Body Tube w Dual Deploy?  (Read 106 times)

Offline hollowoutadime

• View Profile
29mm Body Tube w Dual Deploy?
« on: September 01, 2017, 01:32:11 PM »
Hi Folks. I have plans for putting together a 29 mm minimum diameter rocket and would like to utilize dual deploy. I have done this on larger 3 inch rockets etc. but wanted to see what I can do with a smaller air frame. Has anyone done DD with a 29 mm air frame? Any tips or troubles that you ran into that could help me avoid doing the same thing would be greatly appreciated. I am mostly concerned with the electronics bay as it will be a pretty tight fit.

It will be a scratch built utilizing a phenolic air frame and fiberglass fins. All comments are welcome.

As an aside, I plan on launching it at the October launch. Will be there for the whole weekend and will probably have more Canadian fliers with me as we plan on making the weekend launch into a bit of a get together.

I look forward to seeing every one again.  :)

Jamie Kitchen
TRA#01442

Offline RKeller

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 29mm Body Tube w Dual Deploy?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 05:08:13 PM »
I have a couple 29mm DD projects that are moving very slowly. I have decided to go with the eggtimer quark for an altimeter since it is so small and only $20 for the kit. I also got an eggfinder mini gps tracker that will fit in the nosecone of the rocket. for batteries I'll be using lipo since they have the best power to weight and size ratio. What are you planning on using for the electronics? Are you planning on using a tracker?
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415
L1 25 Oct 2014 Estes MDRM CTI H133
L2 25 June 2015 Rocketry Warehouse DYOK, CTI L1030RL 14.7k ft mach 1.57

I'm addicted to building stuff, rockets are just a way to get high

Offline hollowoutadime

• View Profile
Re: 29mm Body Tube w Dual Deploy?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 02:49:23 PM »
Thank you for the reply RKeller. Good question concerning the tracker. Yes, I was thinking of using one, but I was concerned about room so the Eggfinder mini sounds appealing. Another challenge will be the ejection charge. I picked up a bunch of centrifuge containers that hold up to a gram and a half of FFFG and will be more than large enough. I have used them in the past and they work great. I fire them with a Quest igniter. The whole thing is compact and flexible.

Given the light weight, did you find that there was enough of a difference to justify DD over a streamer and single deployment at apogee?

Jamie