Author Topic: New Eggfinder Mini GPS Tracker!  (Read 185 times)

Offline RKeller

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New Eggfinder Mini GPS Tracker!
« on: March 25, 2017, 07:49:59 PM »
I ordered the new eggfinder mini, should be shipping by next week. I've been waiting for this to be released since last fall. can't wait to get it together, I've got a few 29mm MD rockets that need something tiny.

here's a pic from the post on TRF http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?139675-The-Eggfinder-Mini-A-Very-Small-GPS-Tracker
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415
L1 25 Oct 2014 Estes MDRM CTI H133
L2 25 June 2015 Rocketry Warehouse DYOK, CTI L1030RL 14.7k ft mach 1.57

I'm addicted to building stuff, rockets are just a way to get high

Offline RickB

• View Profile
Re: New Eggfinder Mini GPS Tracker!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 10:03:11 PM »
These seem to be pretty intriguing.  I've been thinking about getting some sort of tracker.  The original Eggfinder has a lot of appeal, but this little one is especially interesting.  My concern is the assembly.  My soldering experience has been for automotive-sized wiring harnesses, I've never done anything fine, or any sort of board mounted work.  Their website indicates that this isn't a suitable project for a novice, but I'm wondering how difficult it really is.  How would you rate building one of these Riley?
Rick Barnes

Offline dbmccann

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 12:28:34 PM »
This looks very interesting.... would be cool to have

Offline RKeller

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 02:16:03 PM »
 I agree it's not for a novice. Although anyone with the right iron and attention to detail could do it. Knowing how the solder will flow and how much heat you need comes with practice. The quark is a neat little altimeter you could practice on. At $20 it's hard to beat.

These seem to be pretty intriguing.  I've been thinking about getting some sort of tracker.  The original Eggfinder has a lot of appeal, but this little one is especially interesting.  My concern is the assembly.  My soldering experience has been for automotive-sized wiring harnesses, I've never done anything fine, or any sort of board mounted work.  Their website indicates that this isn't a suitable project for a novice, but I'm wondering how difficult it really is.  How would you rate building one of these Riley?
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415

Offline RickB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 10:55:17 AM »
The Quark looks like more of a dual-deploy device rather than a data altimeter, so I probably wouldn't make use of that.  I did, however, order a couple of "learn to solder" kits to practice on.  I need to learn it one way or another so I can repair the instrument cluster for my Mustang (odometer backlight doesn't work).  But I do want to look at moving into something like this as well, even if I'm not planning on building electronics on a regular basis...
Rick Barnes

Offline RKeller

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 10:08:16 PM »
This thing is awesomely tiny! I failed to take any in process pics, but here are a few of the nearly finished product. tested and works well. haven't done any range testing yet...

Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415

Offline RKeller

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 03:57:14 PM »
to program the frequency you need to solder a 3 pin header to the board. (you also need the LCD receiver) as built the header is pretty tall so I made some changes to it...
Using small pliers I pushed each pin through the black spacer up to the end. I flipped the center one around and then trimmed the short legs shorter so they would fit centered on the pads.

then I soldered them down with a good amount of solder, using the black plastic to keep the pins inline...

Then clipped the pins down to the same height as the LED and GPS unit. this is just enough length to work well with the plugs.

Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415

Offline PGagnon

• MRSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 09:50:29 AM »
Riley

Just read your post. OUTSTANDING!
How about a list of additional parts and where to find them. (Case etc.)

Paul G.