Author Topic: L1 Cert Question  (Read 37 times)

Offline NickG

• View Profile
L1 Cert Question
« on: November 27, 2017, 12:24:23 PM »
Hello,

I was at the black Friday launch and really enjoyed it (I was the guy flying the LOC Hi-Tec for the first time).  Thanks to everyone who helped with that.  I got my URRG and Tripoli memberships.

I want to get my L1 cert and was wondering about how to get an L1 motor for the next launch.  Is there paperwork given so I can buy one?  Are there loaner motors as advertised on the website?

thanks,

Nick

Offline mdutch

• MRSI
    • View Profile
Re: L1 Cert Question
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 09:47:17 PM »
Hi Nick that was a very nice flight you had there too. Just so you know we should have a vendor at our April launch next year ,usually Ken Allen of Performance Hobbies; http://performancehobbies.com/
No matter where you get the motor any rocket vendor will sell the motor you need to get your L1, (an 'H' or an "I'). It's just if you buy from a vendor who will be at the launch he can bring it with him and save you Hazmat fees you would incur with shipping through the mail.
Mike Dutch
TAP  L3CC
URRG & MRSI Founder
"I just Want to Fly ROCKETS"

Offline RickB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 11:38:04 AM »
Vendors also sometimes have certification specials.  When I did my L1, Ken included the casing when I bought the reload, though I also needed to buy the rear closure in order to use it. 
Rick Barnes

Offline NickG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 12:54:18 PM »
Thanks Mike and Rich. I found a cert special at Offwego Rocketry. Got motor hardware free with a reload kit.
I'll be buying future motors from vendors at events to save on hazmat fees.

Offline dbmccann

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:42:25 PM »
Regarding hazmat fees-  Remember almost all aerotech 29mm L1 reloads ship without hazmat fees,  and most Loki 38mm L1 motors are also hazmat free.